Job Title: Produce Farm Educator and Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: 15-20 hours per week
Start Date: February 2017
About WOW Farm:
West Oakland Woods (WOW) Farm offers teens an opportunity to learn about and operate a small farm business. WOW Farm’s team of youth grows and sells organic specialty greens, herbs, and flowers to local restaurants. WOW Farm is a project of the nonprofit Game Theory Academy.
The Produce Farm Educator and Manager mentors youth in farming, business and leadership; teaches an introductory urban farming curriculum; runs the farm business; and works collaboratively with the WOW Farm Management team to ensure the program excels in its mission. An ideal candidate is seeking an opportunity to take initiative and contribute creative input to lead the project to success, with a commitment to 100% follow through on all education, farm and business components.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
● Lead farm trainings and plan/facilitate all farm activities
● Enhance and augment existing gardening curriculum and program materials
● Schedule and attend guest speakers
● Support delivery of personal finance and business lessons in the classroom
● Ensure farm supplies and setup are ready each week for youth teams to successfully accomplish planting, harvesting, and maintenance tasks
● Maintain the built farm infrastructure as well as perennial plants of the farm ecosystem
● Facilitate farm tours for visitors
● Build and manage relationships with restaurant customers, including sales, deliveries and invoicing
● Administrative tasks such as submitting timesheets, tracking invoices, ordering seeds and supplies, social media communications, etc.
● Submit weekly farm reports and meet weekly with Executive Director and/or other team members
Required knowledge, skills and qualities:
● Bachelor’s degree from a four-year university strongly preferred
● At least 2 years of experience working with urban youth strongly preferred
● At least 2 years of farming experience strongly preferred
● At least 2 years of business or entrepreneurial experience strongly preferred
● Reliability and punctuality required
● Strong interpersonal skills with a wide range of people
● Ability to work independently and in collaboration with others
● Strong desire to work with youth from targeted at-risk communities
● Excellent verbal, written and digital communication skills
● A valid driver’s license and access to a registered and insured vehicle required
Location: Work will be performed at WOW Farm (Lewis and Peralta St.) in West Oakland or at the Game Theory Academy office in Downtown Oakland.
To apply: Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Compensation: Dependent on experience.